Monday, March 9, 2009

Wheel of Reviews: Movies - Watchmen


Being a geek, I decided to see Watchmen on opening night. I used to be a Geek (note the capital "G"). Back in those days I would have seen the movie on 12:01am late Thursday night/Friday morning. As it turns out I love sleep just a bit more than genre movies, so Friday night won out.

As I was thinking about this review, I couldn't think of a way to concisely review a 2-hour 45-minute movie filled with A TON of stuff. Plus, I don't want to reveal too many spoilers. The only way I could think to do it easily is a simple list of Pros and Cons. So here we go.


> Rorschach was spot on. (Get it..."spot on"...it's a damn fine pun, aint it?)
> Solid action sequences.
> Kept the adult themes in place.
> Visually stunning in most places.
> Had about the right amount of laughs mixed in.
> Wasn't too overly "Snyder-ized."
> Malin Ackerman's nakedness.
> Night Owl's costume and gear were pretty badass.
> Faithfulness to 90% of the graphic novel.


> Some of the action got gory and violent without needing it.
> Too much giant blue radioactive penis.
> Some of the visuals tried a bit too hard to be comic-booky (see Nixon, Richard).
> The soundtrack had cool classic rock songs but they seemed out of place.
> Dr. Manhattan just felt a bit too CG in too many scenes.
> Malin Ackerman's acting.
> Night Owl's acting.
> Some of the relationships and interactions seemed forced or lacked emotional believability.


So, the way I see it, the movie was an overwhelming win. Most of my pros were things I was worried about beforehand that wound up turning out well. And almost all of my cons are nitpicks and things that missed the mark, but not by much.

Missing LiNK Wheel of Review final verdict:
On a scale of 1 to 5, we give Watchmen 4 ink blots.


(Chop off half a blot if you're a stickler for fine cinema and details.)

If the question is "Who watches the Watchmen?" the answer should be you, and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment