Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What you won't see here.

Last month I wrote a quick piece about words and phrases you won't see in my blog. Today I'm adding a few to the list.

"Close the Loop"
- This is an overused expression that has become the the heavy-handed tool of micromanagers (who, themselves, are heavy-handed tools.) When people decide they need to say something to you for the fourth time because they simply can't leave you alone or because they just like hearing themselves talk, they excuse the behavior by saying they were just "closing the loop." You know what, drop the corporate lingo babble and call it what it is...lazy filler language for the psuedo-intellectual. The only loop I'd like to see closed is around the neck of the next person to utter these words.

"yo" - Okay, I get it. A year or so back it was a cool urban affectation to use the word "yo" a lot. But it's over. Gone. We've beaten it so badly it should be dating Chris Brown. And I especially despise the people who decided they needed to put it at the front and back of the same sentence. The day I first heard something along the lines of "Yo, that honey is bangin', yo!" a little piece of my soul died. I'm sure somewhere, there was a kid who didn't get the toy he wanted and told his friends, "Yo! A no-go on the yo-yo, yo!" (Okay, I'm pretty positive that never happened and those words have never been said aloud by any human ever. Call it creative license.) Anyway, yo, R.I.P. "yo", yo!

"the whole enchilada"
- Enchiladas give me the winds.

These terms are officially banned from The Missing LiNK. A cease and desist has been issued, and violators will be punished. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment