Monday, February 2, 2009

...baby we were born to suck?

Okay, so I love me some Bruce. Best live show I've ever seen (or in top 2) was Bruce in NJ. And he did put on a fun live show yesterday. But for the most part, I was not impressed. Doing a song off the new album that no one knew was stupid, since no one can sing along to something they haven't really heard before. If you have the crowd eating out of your hand with "Born To Run," it seems beneath you to immediately shill with the next song. Think about that the next time you get all socially aware and write a new Amadou Diallo song, Brucie.

That said, My predictions were sorta close. I knew he'd open with an upbeat sing-along from his older stuff, I just went Hungry Heart over 10th Avenue Freeze Out. Honestly, good call. He didn't exactly sing it well, but a solid start and a good one for Bruce fans. Going with Born to Run next is something I should have guessed. Glory Days is such a "sports anthem" song, I should have known he'd close with it. So flip BTR and GD and I had those right. And then I called the sell out moment with the new tune.

Basically, I'm a bigger fan of Bruce than I am of Prince or Tom Petty, but both those guys were way better the last two years. In fact, Prince was flat out exceptional in the rain in '07. The bottom line is that the only Boss that really delivered last night was Michael Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment