Friday, January 30, 2009

You got your Wheel in my Shenanigans!

So, what happens when you mix one recurring blog column that no one reads with another recurring blog column that no one reads? You get a cool-ass Siamese combo of the two into one write-up that no one will freaking read. Sweet!

The Wheel of Reviews lands on advertising this time, while we simultaneously call Shenanigans on Pizza Hut. Now let me start by saying I kind of like Pizza Hut, but I only eat it about once every two or three years in an effort to not die. To me, the defining characteristic of Pizza Hut is that it's pizza, but not really. It's their take on pizza. It's not like anything you'd find at the 56 places that all claim to be the one and only Original Rays in NY. It's closer to Pizzeria UNO, though UNOs is universally considered the more like eating Patrick Ewing's jock after triple overtime.

And now the latest ads in the current Pizza Hut campaign feature hidden cameras capturing people loving restaurant lasagna, only to find out it's really from Pizza Hut. Hmmm...my shenanigan-sense is tingling. Oh, and these impressed patrons are IN ROME, ITALY! Ummm, no. Not buying it. I smell bullshit (though it's possible that bullshit is one of the ingredients. I haven't made lasagna in a while.)



First off, I can't get my mind around people oohing and ahhing over Pizza Hut lasagna in the company's own corporate cafeteria, much less in Italy. And I wouldn't know how to say "this is the best mass-produced processed food-like substance ever!" in Italian.

Second, I have a hard time with the guy who says "it taste just like my mothers!" I believe they edited out the part where he later mentions that his mother has one eye, a gaping head wound and dementia bad enough to make her think she's Ernest Borgnine. Oh, and she's from Philly.

And lastly, the thing that just seems completely bogus is the rousing applause when they are told the food is really from Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut doesn't exist in Italy, so why are people so impressed? They don't even know what it means. Seriously, no one in the history of humans on this planet has ever emphatically applauded Pizza Hut. They could discover that Pizza Hut cures cancer and it would still only get applause equal to the arrival of Sanjaya Malakar at a car wash opening.

It all seems fishy to me. (Again, that could the ingredients. There's mackerel in lasagna, right?) So, I officially say to you Pizza Hut..."Shenanigans!"

NOTE: Pizza Hut has even shared a 'behind the scenes' look at making the commercial. As if they knew we'd all question it. Take a look...

No comments:

Post a Comment