Friday, September 18, 2009

R.I.P. Patrick Swayze

When Patrick Swayze (I like to call him, "The Swaze." No, wait, no I don't) passed away earlier this week, all I could think was that a semi-celebrity cheezy actor has died. But when I actually thought about it, I realized he was a pretty legit star who made a serious imprint on pop culture for over two decades. If for no other reason than the SNL Chippendale's skit with Chris Farley, Swayze will be warmly remembered by men and women alike. I also think that Swayze helped usher in the very notion of the chick flick. Sure, there were other movies before him, but the one-two punch of "Dirty Dancing" in 1987 and "Ghost" in 1990 pretty much cemented the genre. Then it occurred to me that you could categorize almost all of Swayze's work into genres like this, so I did.






(NOTE: I didn't overlook "Next of Kin," I just think that's a movie no one should admit to having seen and it was an embarrassment for everyone involved. At least as I remember it. Shit...I just admitted...never mind.)

No comments:

Post a Comment